This is the article “Cancer Doctor Says He OK’d Costello’s Quizzing in March” that was in the Daily News printed January 9, 1952.
Frank Costello’s throat doctor testified at the gambling kingpin’s contempt trial in Federal Court yesterday that he told Costello he could testify last March 16 – about three hours before Costello staged a walkout from a hearing of the Senate crime investigating committee.
Dr. Douglas Quick, cancer authority of 350 Park Ave., said he had advised Costello it would be safe for him to testify for up to two hours, if he limited his answers and avoided straining his voice. The specialist resisted defense efforts yesterday to show that any testimony at all would have been dangerous for is patient.
Dr. Quick cleared up, once and for all, the mystery of Costello’s chronic laryngitis. It is an aftermath, he explained, of exhaustive radiation treatments by which, between June and September, 1933, Dr. Quick extripated a cancerous growth on Costello’s vocal chords.
Still Getting Treatments.
Costello, he continued, has since required frequent treatments for his larynx area and, in fact, had treatments in Dr. Quick’s office seven times during the two weeks before Costello went to the stand on MArch 13 as a star witness.
Costello testified all of March 13 and 14 and staged a first walkout on the 15th, saying he wasn’t well enough to testify.
Dr. Quick, called by U.s. Attorney Myles J. Lane, related he had been summoned to the Costello apartment at 11 A. M. on the 16th by Mrs. Costello. His office nurse, GRace Myers, accompanied him.
“His throat was more irritated than usual,” the doctor related. Dr. Quick said he gave a treatment at the apartment to control inflammation of the scar tissue, and Miss Myers administered a penicillin shot.
Dr. Quick added that he wrote a note, which Costello and his counsel later took to court, regarding Costello’s condition. But the certificate was written, not to support the defendant in any move to avoid appearing before the committe, but “in the hope it miht gain him some consideration.”
The U.S. Attorney, in his opening address before Judge Sylvester J. Ryan and a jury of 10 men and two women, outline the 11 indictment counts allefing contempt of the U.S. Sentate. They covered Costello’s walkouts and also his refusal to answer specific questions.
Some of the latter related to Costello’s net worth and indebtedness. One was about a supposed meeting with former Mayor William O’Dwyer in 1942; and another was whether he knew James Moran, O’Dwyer confidante, since convicted of perjury and indicted for extortion.
Wold spoke for Costello in an address so impassioned that Judge Ryan admonished him a number of times for offering a “summation” instead of an opening. The smarly-togged Costello smiled.